In the event you’ve simply upgraded — or are planning to improve — to Apple’s new iPhone 13, congratulations! You’re going to wish to check out your snazzy new cellphone as quickly as you open that field. However first, you could get the entire apps and knowledge out of your previous iPhone onto your new one.
It’s really very straightforward — in truth, if you happen to haven’t upgraded for some time, you’ll discover it simpler than ever. The method of transferring your knowledge used to require restoring it from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Now, you don’t should hassle with that backup (though backing up your stuff is at all times a good suggestion). You’ll be able to transfer your apps, knowledge, and ID over to the brand new cellphone instantly with what Apple calls iPhone migration. (Nevertheless, if you happen to want, you’ll be able to nonetheless restore it from iCloud.)
Right here’s how.
First, again up your cellphone
Regardless of the way you determine to maneuver your knowledge, it’s a good suggestion to have a present backup of all your knowledge saved on iCloud, your laptop computer, or another native / cloud storage. Backing up your cellphone on iCloud Backup might be the simplest. If it’s been some time and also you wish to be sure that backup is switched on in your cellphone’s iCloud settings:
- Faucet on “Settings” > [your name] high button > “iCloud” > “iCloud Backup.”
- If “iCloud Backup” is switched off, toggle it on. If it’s already toggled on, and also you’re making ready to wipe your previous iPhone, chances are you’ll wish to faucet “Again Up Now” simply in case.
You too can again up your iPhone to a pc: both to your Mac by utilizing your Finder (in case your Mac is utilizing a macOS model earlier than 10.15, you’ll use iTunes) or to a Home windows PC (once more, utilizing iTunes).
Earlier than you begin, there are a pair extra issues you could do first:
- In case your older cellphone is paired to an Apple Watch, unpair it. (Your knowledge will likely be moved to the brand new cellphone.)
- Switch your SIM to your new cellphone.
Okay, now that your backup is finished and every little thing else is prepared, let’s transfer your knowledge.
From a direct wi-fi connection
- This phone-to-phone switch is named Fast Begin, for apparent causes. Begin up your new cellphone. You’ll have the choice to enter your Apple ID; in any other case, you’ll be requested a few preliminary questions (akin to what language you wish to use) and then you definately’ll be invited to switch knowledge from one other cellphone, if you need.
- Put your previous cellphone close to your new one. Be sure that each telephones are plugged in to energy (you don’t need them working out of battery in the course of the information transfer).
- When the connection is made, your new iPhone display screen will show an animation and your previous cellphone will open its digital camera and show a clean circle in the course of the display screen. You’ll be requested to carry your new iPhone as much as the digital camera of your previous one in order that the animation is centered within the circle.
- You’ll then be invited to maneuver your consideration to your new cellphone to complete the setup.
- Enter your passcode and Apple ID when requested; you may additionally be requested whether or not you wish to setup Face ID or Contact ID.
- There will likely be a number of screens to undergo earlier than the switch begins, together with the standard phrases and circumstances, whether or not you wish to share your location and your analytics, and whether or not you wish to arrange FaceTime, iMessage, and Siri.
- Additionally, you will get the selection of transferring your knowledge out of your earlier cellphone, or out of your iCloud backup. In the event you’ve backed up onto your pc, you’ll find that below “Different Choices.”
- When you’ve made all of your selections, the switch will start.
- Sign up to your new iPhone once more and also you’re performed!
From a direct wired connection between telephones
One benefit of Apple’s up to date migration function is you could additionally use a cable to switch the information. In the event you’re having any bother with the wi-fi switch, this may very well be a superb different.
For a wired connection, you’ll want a Lightning to USB 3 digital camera adapter and a Lightning to USB cable. And a phrase of recommendation: be sure that each telephones are totally charged earlier than you begin.
- As with the wi-fi methodology, begin up your new cellphone and undergo the preliminary questions till you get the invite to switch knowledge from one other cellphone.
- As earlier than, put your previous cellphone close to your new one and ensure each telephones are plugged in.
- Join the Lightning to USB 3 digital camera adapter to your previous cellphone. Join the Lightning to USB cable to your new cellphone. Be a part of the 2 cables collectively utilizing the adapter.
- After that, comply with the identical instructions as above, together with utilizing the digital camera to search out the sample and answering all of the setup questions.
- You’ll know that the telephones are utilizing the wired setup as a result of as soon as the switch begins, there will likely be a small “cable” between the 2 cellphone icons on the display screen.
From a direct wired reference to a Mac
In the event you’ve backed up your iPhone to a Mac, you’ll be able to obtain your knowledge from there to the brand new cellphone.
- Join your cellphone to your pc utilizing its charging cable.
- Fireplace up Finder, and choose your cellphone within the left-hand column.
- Chances are you’ll be requested if you happen to belief the cellphone, first on the pc after which on the cellphone itself.
- You’ll then be requested if you wish to set your cellphone up as a brand new gadget or restore it from a earlier backup. Choose the latter.
Whichever methodology you select, take pleasure in your new iPhone!
Replace September fifteenth, 2021, 10:20AM ET: This text was initially printed on September twentieth, 2019 and has been up to date to account for variations within the OS.